[R-lang] Re: Installing lme4

Matt Goldrick matt-goldrick@northwestern.edu
Tue Jun 22 15:52:22 PDT 2010

Hey Andries

Based on the error messages, it looks like the problem is that you don't
have gfortran installed.  Download and install it by following this link:

http://r.research.att.com/gfortran-4.2.3.dmg

If that doesn't work, you will need to install lme4 from source.  Download
and install the XCode tools from Apple (requires registering as a software
developer).  Then:

1.Go to package installer (under Packages&Data)
2.Under 'Packages Repository' switch to CRAN (sources)
3. Hit Get list, and search for lme4.  Select lme4 in window below.
4.Unclick 'install dependencies.'  Click 'install selected'

n.b. this wouldn't normally be an issue with R, but in the last upgrade a
few weeks ago something went wrong with lme4 binaries.

Good luck,
Matt