[R-lang] Installing lme4

Andries W. Coetzee coetzee@umich.edu
Tue Jun 22 13:42:26 PDT 2010

Dear R-lang-ers,

Thank you for the prompt and very helpful response that I got to my
first question yesterday. Today I have a question more about the
logistics of getting R to work than about statistics.

I have successfully installed R on my Mac (OS 10.5.8). But I have
tried several different ways of adding the package lme4, all without
success. Although it is available on the CRAN sites, I cannot locate
it using the "Packages & Data" -> "Package Installer" function from
the R pull down menu. After searching for help on Google, I found the
following command to use:

install.packages("lme4", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")

Of all of my attempts, this seems to have done best. But it was still
not successful. Below is what I get when run this command:

________________________

install.packages("lme4", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")
trying URL 'http://R-Forge.R-project.org/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.11/lme4_0.999375-34.tgz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1281413 bytes (1.2 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 1.2 Mb

The downloaded packages are in
	/var/folders/3p/3piseP3GGf017YzUxdYiJ++0yIw/-Tmp-//RtmpaOyJe9/downloaded_packages
______________________

And here is what happens when I try to call the lme4 through library():

______________________
> library(lme4)
Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
  unable to load shared library
'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/lme4/libs/i386/lme4.so':
  dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/lme4/libs/i386/lme4.so,
6): Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libgfortran.2.dylib
  Referenced from:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/lme4/libs/i386/lme4.so
  Reason: image not found
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'lme4'

Any ideas or suggestions?

Andries