[R-lang] Re: p-values for mixed effects models with random slopes

Levy, Roger rlevy@ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 18 10:50:15 PST 2011

On Jan 18, 2011, at 9:17 AM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Steven Piantadosi <piantado@mit.edu> wrote:
>> Unless I'm out of date, p values are broken on glmer too? I wonder if an
>> easy solution to these two problems might be to implement a
>> bootstrapping/resampling algorithm on mixed effect regressions. Does
>> anyone know about this--would it be conservative or anticonservative or
>> a problem on data sets of typical size in psycholinguistics?
>>
>> If this is actually a good idea, and someone could point me to a
>> reference on how bootstrapping would work on such models (I know
>> references for simple non-mixed effect regressions, but not how
>> bootstrapping interfaces with repeated subject/item measurements and
>> random effects), I'd be happy to try to put some friendly code
>> together.
>
> The problem, as you say, is that you need your resampling procedure to
> somehow respect the structure you have in your data. If you just have
> one random effect (e.g., subjects), then things are relatively
> straightforward -- see Davison and Hinkley, section 3.8. They
> recommend just resampling subjects, which is slightly
> anti-conservative, but still closer to correct than the "natural"
> approach of first resampling subjects, and then resampling the cases
> within each resampled subject, which turns out to be rather
> conservative.
>
> If you have crossed random effects -- which I guess we psycholinguists
> always do or we wouldn't be using lmer in the first place -- then
> things are trickier and I don't know what the best approach is.
> Probably some simulations and things are needed. A quick google finds
> a presentation on the 'merBoot' package, but I'm not sure it was ever
> released...

I think that there are a few basic options for the general problem of assessing significance of fixed effects in models with rich random-effects structure:

1) trust the normal approximation to the t- (and more generally the F-) statistic.  My consistent impression is that for models with parameters numbering in the low dozens and observations numbering in the hundreds or thousands, the anti-conservativity is minimal.  The examples from Pinheiro & Bates 2000 showing anticonservativity have far fewer observations per parameter.

2) ditto for the likelihood-ratio test.

3) The tools *are* available to do the type of fully Bayesian analysis done within pvals.fnc(), though the situation is not yet as user-friendly as with random-intercept models.  I have some pointers to the appropriate techniques in my textbook draft; see especially Chapter 8 and the end of Chapter 4:

   http://idiom.ucsd.edu/~rlevy/textbook/text.html

Any feedback on this material would be much appreciated!

Also: Nathaniel is absolutely correct that it's not as clear how to use resampling-based approaches (bootstrapping, permutation tests) in the crossed-cluster designs that are ubiquitous within psycholinguistics.  And situation is especially bad given that in a typical psycholinguistics experiment one has a maximum of one observation per participant/item combination!

More generally -- Hal Tily and I are currently working on a comparison of several methods for data analysis in the rich-random-effects situation.  Once we have our results fully systematized and written up, it'd be great to be able to get feedback from list members.

Best

Roger

--

Roger Levy                      Email: rlevy@ucsd.edu
Assistant Professor             Phone: 858-534-7219