[R-lang] word frequency covariate question

Ray Becker raybecker@gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 00:56:06 PST 2011

Dear R-list members,

I am studying the first-pass gaze duration for sentences beginning with
either "Before" or "After"; these word-regions are my interest areas.
However, the frequency between these words is 154,000 hits in the corpus
for "After" and only 57,000 for "Before". How do I partial-out the
variance due to word frequency. I tried to do simple random regressions
for each participant, as I usually do when comparing one group of
items/sentences with another, but when there are only two words, then it
essentially amounts to dummy coding the variables that I am contrasting
using their frequency as a the coding scheme and leaving no residual
variance.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Best,
-Ray Becker

--
Il faut laisser du temps au temps. François Mitterrand
Translation: time needs time.