[R-lang] Re: Removing collinearity from control variables

T. Florian Jaeger tiflo@csli.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 11 14:51:34 PST 2011

Hi Ariel,

Dear Florian,

> After receiving the other comments on the list, I looked over your and
> Kuperman's slides again and realized that I don't have to worry about the
> collinearity of the predictors.  I guess I was just following Baayen's
> papers (which don't explicitly mention this fact) and got overly worried.
>
> The one thing I do wonder about, however, is that in your slides, you do
> say:
> "Even if a predictor is not highly correlated with a single other predictor
> in the model, it can be highly collinear with the combination of predictors
> → collinearity will affect the predictor"
>
> That seems to suggest that even if the individual correlations aren't
> significant, there could still be an issue.

That is true. You can access this by e.g. the VIF (variance inflation
factor) statistics. It's isn't provided for mixed models, but you could
calculate it yourself. I'd do that within a model with the same random
effect structure as your model of interest.

> On a related note, I need to residualize my variable of interest
> (phonological similarity) against a different variable (letter similarity)
> since they are correlated r=-.418.  In your slides, you say that the
> residualized variable can't be back-transformed to the original variable.
>  Am I still allowed then, to conclude that Phonological Similarity is
> significant?

The back-transformation issue is mentioned as part of a discussion of how to
visualize the effects. It has nothing to do with what model you run or what
you can conclude from the model.

btw, with a correlation of abs(r)<.5, you'll often be fine without
residualization. in any case, if you care about showing that phon. sim.
matters beyond letter sim, i'd do model comparison and report that first.

HTH,
Florian