[R-lang] Re: "Zero" problem with lmer

Marie Coppola marie.coppola@gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 13:59:45 PDT 2010

Dear Daniel,

Thanks for your response. To clarify, one of the three handling responses
was real (the one in the Agent condition for the Lexical Items).

Yes, I can totally see this as getting a bit carried away with tools.... To
give you a bit of context, this is a subset of a longitudinal data set, and
it was just the clearest example of the zero problem. There are other groups
I am trying to compare this group to, where there is some variation, and I
haven't been able to include these invariant conditions in the model, so
it's been hard to know whether I have a basis for claiming that the other
groups are similar or different. So that's my motivation for trying to
resolve this issue. Because we have such a small sample size (n=3 subjects
for the other two groups), I haven't pursued the non-parametric route,
because it appeared to me tha the appropriate tests did not have
significance values defined for n's that small. Hence my plunge into the
world of lmer()....

I've written the results in a hybrid fashion, appealing to qualitative
arguments (as you did in your response) and applying the quantitative tools
where there is variation. It seems to have worked out all right in the end.

Thanks again,
Marie