[R-lang] Re: lme4 vanished

David Reitter reitter@cmu.edu
Tue May 25 19:57:58 PDT 2010

On May 25, 2010, at 10:21 PM, Daniel Ezra Johnson wrote:

> Apparently Xcode doesn't contain a Fortran compiler, but I downloaded
> one from SourceForge and the installation of lme4 seems to have
> worked, with only the following error message:

You don't just need a Fortan compiler - you need the one that is part of GCC, or more precisely, the library "gfortran".  You seem to be having a link-time error there.

> "ld: warning: in /usr/local/lib/libgfortran.dylib, file was built for
> unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked
> (i386)
> installing to /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.11/Resources/library/lme4/libs/i386"

Well, you are most likely building R for a X86_64 architecture - at least this would be the default architecture chosen on most modern Intel systems.  Your library is compiled for i386, Intel's older architecture.

I suspect you have downloaded and installed the gfortran library as a binary, and it is simply the wrong binary.  You could either build the fortran library yourself, or specify the i386 architecture when you build lme4.  How that is done is hopefully explained somewhere in a readme file.  One standard way of doing it would be something like this:

CFLAGS='-arch i386 -O3' ./configure; make ; make install

but that is probably a bit different for R libraries (I can't tell without investigating).

Hope that helps.
- David