[R-lang] Re: anova formula repeated measures

Roger Levy rlevy@ling.ucsd.edu
Thu May 20 18:05:17 PDT 2010

Hi Mike,

I have to admit that the proper specification of error terms for aov() has always been something of a thorn in my side.   Have you tried the following, though?

by subjects: aov(response ~ within1 * within2 * between + Error(between / (subject / (within1 * within2))))

by items: aov(response ~ within1 * within2 * between + Error(item / (within1 * within2 * between)))

(I should also note that I rarely do between subjects designs, and venture this suggestion with a low level of confidence...)

Best & good luck,

Roger

--

Roger Levy                      Email: rlevy@ling.ucsd.edu
Assistant Professor             Phone: 858-534-7219