[R-lang] anova formula repeated measures

Michael T Hammond hammond@U.Arizona.EDU
Thu May 20 17:33:09 PDT 2010

all

I am stuck on how to express a simple design for aov().

It's an experiment with two within-subjects factors (phonological
properties of my stimuli) and one between-subjects factor (presentation
mode: some subjects get things visually, some auditorily). There are
multiple subjects of course, and multiple items in each factor and
intersection.

If I left out the between-subjects factor, this is the normal way I would
do this:

by items: aov(response ~ within1 * within2 + Error(item))

by subjects: aov(response ~ within1 * within2 + Error(subject/(within1 *
within2)))

When I add in the between-subjects factor, I can't get the error term
right:

by items: aov(response ~ within1 * within2 * between + Error(???))

by subjects: aov(response ~ within1 * within2 * between + Error(???))

I would have thought Error(item/between) and Error(subject/(within1 *
within2)) respectively, but this does not work.

I've been searching the web and have not found any examples of this sort
of mixed design with aov().

Does anybody have any ideas?

Mike H.