[R-lang] Re: Test for binomial distribution

Maria Wolters maria.wolters@ed.ac.uk
Fri Mar 26 08:58:19 PDT 2010

Hi everybody,

the psy and psych packages in R have extensive implementations of kappa. If the definitions can be analysed into a small number of classes, then this might be sufficient.

Cheers

Maria

Am 26.03.2010 um 15:02 schrieb Matt Goldrick:

> Hi Scott,
>

> I'm not precisely sure about your design, but if this is the core question:
>
> The student wants to know, essentially, to what extent the respondents
> agree on the meanings.
>

> Then I'd recommend using (generalized) Cohen's kappa--it provides an index of the degree to which multiple raters agree on their classification of categorical data.
>
> An online calculator can be found here (no endorsement of its accuracy!):
>
> http://cosmion.net/jeroen/software/kappa/
>
> hope that helps,
> mG
>
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Scott F. Kiesling <kiesling@pitt.edu> wrote:
> Hi linguistics stats gurus-
>
> I have a student who has response data from a questionnaire. Each
> question presents a word and then asks to choose a definition. The
> definitions are all categorized as reanalyzed or not reanalyzed.
>
> The student wants to know, essentially, to what extent the respondents
> agree on the meanings.
>
> It seems that chi-square might be appropriate here, but there are
> several responses per speaker, and her question is really about
> speakers overall, I think.
>
> For wome reason I can't get my head around this one and I'm only an
> amateur statistician anyway, so any suggestions are very much
> appreciated.
>
> Best
> Scott
>
> --
> Scott F. Kiesling, PhD
>
> Associate Professor
> Department of Linguistics
> University of Pittsburgh, 2816 CL
> Pittsburgh, PA 15260
> http://www.linguistics.pitt.edu
> Office: +1 412-624-5916

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.