[R-lang] Re: Why did I get different results when using different versions of lmer() ?

Xiao He mr.xiaohe@gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 19:44:51 PDT 2010

I have an additional question about lmer(). Sometimes I would get error
messages like this when running the earlier version of lmer():

____________
Warning messages:
1: In .local(x, ..., value) :
  Estimated variance-covariance for factor ‘Subject’ is singular

2: In .local(x, ..., value) :
  nlminb returned message false convergence (8)

>From what I've read, these errors are due to the fact that my model is too
complex for the data I have. What is interesting however is the fact that
these errors are rarer when I run the same data using the same models in the
latest version of lmer(). I wonder if anyone knows what is going on here....
Thanks again!

Best,
Xiao H.