[R-lang] Re: is it possible to use lmer function with a polytomous response variable?

T. Florian Jaeger tiflo@csli.stanford.edu
Fri Apr 9 12:26:41 PDT 2010

Dear Oezge,

interesting timing, since Roger just posted something about ordered response
variables. So far lmer does not deal with the type of model you need. If you
can reasonably assume that your four outcomes are ordered in some way, you
can use the package that Roger just posted (see
http://www.cran.r-project.org/web/packages/ordinal//ordinal.pdf). If you
cannot assume order AND need random effects, thinks get considerably more
complicated.

Austin Frank posted about multilevel multinomial regression models for
unordered responses on our lab blog:
http://hlplab.wordpress.com/2009/05/07/multinomial-random-effects-models-in-r/.
There have been a lot of updates over the months though (the post is from
2007). Maybe he'll read this and will feel sufficiently nudged to post an
update (there's now a couple of useful packages for what you need to do).

For an example, you can look at Tily and Piantadosi's 2009 cogsci paper (
http://www.stanford.edu/~hjt/tily09cogsci.pdf).

HTH,

Florian