[lingtalks] Stefan Leutgeb Talk, Monday Feb. 4 at 12pm

Steven Ford sford at cogsci.ucsd.edu
Thu Jan 31 02:58:08 UTC 2008

The UCSD Department of Cognitive Science is pleased to announce a talk by

Stefan Leutgeb Ph.D.

Kavli Institute for Systems Neuroscience and
Centre for the Biology of Memory

Norwegian University for Science and Technology

Monday, February 4, 2008 at 12pm
Cognitive Science Building, room 003

"Map-based mechanisms for encoding memories"

The talk focuses on three main questions. First, is spatial encoding the
main organizing principle in CA3? Second, to what extent does the spatial
information originate upstream of hippocampus, in the entorhinal
cortex?  Based on data addressing these first two questions, I will then
ask how memories can be stored in neuronal networks that are tightly bound
to a map-based coding scheme? In experiments that combine single-unit
recordings in hippocampal cell populations with behavioral manipulations, I
found that the use of entirely different cell populations at two spatially
distinct locations results in retrieval dynamics that resemble distinct
attractor states. In contrast, mechanisms that allows for the gradual
updating of previously stored neuronal activity patterns are used when
encoding multiple memories at a recurring location.