[lingtalks] Leslie Osborne Talk, Wed. Feb 13 at 12pm

Steven Ford sford at cogsci.ucsd.edu
Tue Feb 12 16:17:23 PST 2008

The UCSD Department of Cognitive Science is pleased to announce a talk by

Leslie Osborne Ph.D.

Sloan-Swartz Center for Theoretical Neurobiology, UCSF

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 at 12pm
Cognitive Science Building, room 003

"Insights into neural mechanisms of behavior from analysis of variation".

It is difficult to swing a golf club the same way every stroke, or hit a
baseball on every swing. Variation in how our brains record what we see,
and program how we act, creates variability in our behavior. An analysis of
that variation can reveal more than the overall level of precision in the
system, it can tell us about the brain's underlying computational
processing as well. I am studying how sensory estimates are converted into
actions using pursuit as a model. Pursuit is an eye movement behavior in
which we track a moving visual target smoothly with our eyes in order to
stabilize its image on our retinas. By analyzing the fluctuations of neural
and behavioral responses in the context of a theory of optimal performance
in pursuit, I am developing a framework for investigating signal processing
in a sensorimotor system.