[lingtalks] FW: Monday colloquium

fortier goldstein jfortier at ucsd.edu
Thu Jan 26 14:02:05 PST 2006

Hi all,
Please note that I¹m giving a lecture Monday that you might be interested in
hearing, Jana

³We Hunt Brother Monkey: Hunting and Gathering in the Central Himalayas²

Anthropology Department Colloquium
By Jana Fortier, Ph.D.

Monday, Jan. 30
RIMAC 4th floor conference room
3:00-4:15 pm.
There will be a reception immediately following the presentation in the
Spiro Library, SSB 269. Please join us. Open free to the public.

Abstract: Contemporary hunter-gatherers are a product of not only their
work, but also of how they think about their work. They live in a cultural
as well as material world and that part of hunter-gatherer sociality will be
explored in this lecture. Living in subtropical Himalayan foothills, the
Raute and Raji represent two modern hunter-gatherer peoples who continue to
hunt monkey and porcupine as their main forms of subsistence. In this
lecture, I situate their particular foraging strategies in light of
different state interventions and environmental conditions. I conclude that
while each group pursues distinctive foraging strategies, both groups
maintain similar ideologies about animals as social others equal to
themselves in a cosmological world order.

------ End of Forwarded Message