[R-lang] Re: 3 Level IV

Peter Graff graff@mit.edu
Tue Feb 22 12:33:14 PST 2011

Dear Florian, dear Roger,

Thank you very much for your help.

The design is basically a regular 2x2 with one cell missing due to linguistic impossibility.

> Level 1: A C
> Level 2: A D
> Level 3: B D

The question is whether 1=3>2. I turns out, that when I code collinearly (AvB, CvD; Coding 1), I get 2 significant effects, which practically cancel each other out.

CODING 1

Level 1:	-.25	.5
Level 2:	-.25	-.25
Level 3:	.5	-.25

But when I code orthogonally, I only get one (3>2).

CODING 2

Level 1:	-.25	.5
Level 2:	-.25	-.5
Level 3:	.5	0

It is also clear from the data, that the result is 1=3>2. It thus seems like the collinearity is producing a spurious significance, even though the collinear coding more straightforwardly mirrors the theoretical motivation.

Best,

Peter