[R-lang] Re: Comparing effect sizes in lmer

lngmyers@ccu.edu.tw lngmyers@ccu.edu.tw
Wed Feb 2 17:12:09 PST 2011

I raised this question a few years ago on this list - you can see the
discussion here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/r-lang@ling.ucsd.edu/msg00058.html

I think the "best" answer is here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/r-lang@ling.ucsd.edu/msg00057.html

James S. Adelman wrote:

[begin quote]

If I've understood your question correctly, you are asking about a linear
regression model with response, say z, and two predictors x and y:

K: z = a  +  mx  +  ny  +  error

and you wish to know whether H0: m=n.  If so, anova(lm(z~x+y),lm(z~I(x+y)))
should be valid under the usual conditions.

[end quote]

I've since incorporated this logic into the R code underlying my
Optimality Theory testing program MiniCorp, as explained here (see
(10)-(13)):

http://www.ccunix.ccu.edu.tw/~lngproc/MCInfo.htm#stats

MiniCorp uses Poisson regression to test if two OT constraints must be
ranked or not. So it uses R code like the following:

NoRanking = glm(Count ~ I(AgreeV + IdentV), family = poisson)
Ranking = glm(Count ~ AgreeV + IdentV, family = poisson)
anova(NoRanking, Ranking, test = "Chisq")

- jm