[R-lang] Re: analysis of acceptability judgements

Antti Arppe antti.arppe@helsinki.fi
Fri Oct 15 18:05:51 PDT 2010

Hi all,

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010, T. Florian Jaeger wrote:
> If you're looking for in discussions of acceptability judgments as a
> a method, I'd agree that Carson's work is a good start, as well as
> Cowart 1997's book "Empirical Syntax" (mostly on acceptability
> judgments), Frank Keller's thesis on magnitude estimation, as well
> as several papers he had with collaborators like Ash Asudeh and
> Antonella Sorace in the early 2000s. Several of these papers discuss
> trade-offs between magnitude estimation and likert scale or binary
> judgments in depth. These papers (and the development of the WebExp2
> software) also triggered a lot of cross-linguistic work, including
> methodological comparisons (a small sample can be seen
> here http://www.language-experiments.org/, under "previous
> experiments"). There's also been a bit of work on speeded
> grammaticality judgments (I believe Fanselow is one of the people
> who worked on this, Meng and Bader, and others). I am mostly
> mentioning this because this earlier work (e.g. by Cowart, and Frank
> and colleagues) is often less known to theoretical linguists.

Specifically comparing different variations of acceptability
judgments, a paper of interest might be Weskott & Fanselow (2009),
based on a presentation at the 2008 Linguistic Evidence Conference -
their basic conclusion, if I recall correctly, is that in the end
binary/categorical, Likert/graded, and continuous
(magnitude-estimation) judgments all effectively produce the same
results. At the same conference, there was a poster by Murphy & Vogel
(2008) presenting quite a similar result (my understanding was that it
was based on Murphy's dissertation).