[R-lang] Including IPA fonts in plots?

Levy, Roger rlevy@ucsd.edu
Tue Oct 5 15:58:16 PDT 2010

Hi all,

Has anyone had unqualified success in rendering IPA symbols in R?  graphs I've had trouble; within the R.app GUI on OS X, the commands

> plot(1:2,1:2)
> text(1.5,1.5,"ʌ") # in case it's not rendered properly in your email client, the character is the wedge in UTF-8

give just a box, and I get even worse failure if I try to create a Postscript or PDF file:

> postscript("test.ps") # same error ensues if I use pdf("test.pdf") here instead
> plot(1:2,1:2)
> text(1.5,1.5,"ʌ")
Warning messages:
1: In text.default(1.5, 1.5, "ʌ") :
  conversion failure on 'ʌ' in 'mbcsToSbcs': dot substituted for <ca>
2: In text.default(1.5, 1.5, "ʌ") :
  conversion failure on 'ʌ' in 'mbcsToSbcs': dot substituted for <8c>
3: In text.default(1.5, 1.5, "ʌ") :
  font metrics unknown for Unicode character U+028c
4: In text.default(1.5, 1.5, "ʌ") :
  conversion failure on 'ʌ' in 'mbcsToSbcs': dot substituted for <ca>
5: In text.default(1.5, 1.5, "ʌ") :
  conversion failure on 'ʌ' in 'mbcsToSbcs': dot substituted for <8c>

Interesting, ash (æ) renders fine on all graphics devices

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

(Stefan Evert suggested a while back that IPA fonts should just work within the R.app GUI for OS X, but I haven't found this to be the case.)

Best & many thanks in advance,

Roger

--

Roger Levy                      Email: rlevy@ling.ucsd.edu
Assistant Professor             Phone: 858-534-7219