[R-lang] Re: How to handle missing data when I try to log-transform my data

Alex Fine afine@bcs.rochester.edu
Wed Jun 23 10:52:36 PDT 2010

*Somewhat timidly in my first response to this list*....I routinely do
the same thing with spr data--remove RTs below 100ms and above
2000ms--and do not replace the missing values with anything.  If you
have some reason to replace the missing values (maybe if you're doing
ANOVA and want equal numbers of observations in all conditions), maybe
you could replace them with something very small, e.g. .0001,...but
doesn't that defeat the purpose of removing abnormally low RTs?  (i.e.
you're replacing weirdly low RTs with even lower RTs.)  I would
recommend just removing them and analyzing them with a method that isn't
so sensitive to the removal (I always use lmer()....)