[R-lang] lme with continuous dependent variable

Andries W. Coetzee coetzee@umich.edu
Mon Jun 21 20:07:35 PDT 2010

Dear R-Langers,

I had my first R experience earlier today, and was quite happy to see
that it is less hard than what I have been lead to believe. At the
same time, I am still quite unsure about what to do and how to
progress.

Here is one question that may help me figure out the first step to
take: I have a set of data with both continuous and discrete
independent variables, and with a continuous dependent variable. Is
this something on which I could do a mixed effects a al lme type
analysis? Or is this appropriate only for cases where the dependent
variable is discrete? And if I can do this with lme, what would the
"family" be? Binomial or Poisson, or something else all together?

Thank you,

Andries

Andries W. Coetzee

Department of Linguistics