[R-lang] % of total variance accounted for by each predictor?

Xiao He praguewatermelon@gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 07:57:54 PDT 2010

Hi dear R-lang experts and users,

I have a question regarding the % of total variance account for by
individual predictors.

In some articles I've read that mention regression analysis (mainly in the
2nd language acquisition literature), the authors often mention the percent
of variance is explained or accounted for by each independent variable. In
Baayen (2008, in chapter 7), he discusses that total variance accounted for
by predictors of interests can be obtained by abstracting variance of random
effects from the variance obtained in the model fitted with predictors of
interests.

I wonder however if there is any way to tease apart the contribution made by
each individual variance. In other words, what % of total variance is
accounted for by each predictor?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best,
Xiao