[R-lang] wonky PDF labelling behavior in R

Paula Chesley ches0045 at umn.edu
Fri Jul 24 10:53:57 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

When trying to plot a pdf of a certain linguistic distribution, I am
having trouble having the labels I give as arguments show up in the
PDF. What shows up in the PDF are the unhelpful default labels R
gives. This is really strange, because I've done the same thing
several times no problem, and on the default x11 output the correct
labels show up. See attached figure 1 (correct labelling on x11) and
figure 2 (unfortunate labelling in PDF). This happens when in both
GUI and command-line modes of R. I've shut down other R sessions, and
there's no possibility that the file is the wrong file, either.

Here is my code for creating the PDF file:

 > pdf("/Users/pchesley/linguistics/research/memory/data/r/figs/
figure_2.pdf") % attached figure_2.pdf
 > plot(hist(pct$V1, breaks = seq(0, 1, 0.05)), xlab = "% of speakers
having seen new word before", ylab = "number of new words", main=" ")
 > dev.off()

Can anyone tell me what's going on here? I'm flummoxed, and hoping
it's not painfully obvious. :)

Thanks,
Paula