[R-lang] Interactions in lmer

Claire Delle Luche Claire.Delleluche at univ-lyon2.fr
Fri Jul 24 01:34:04 PDT 2009

Dear R users,

Dealing with mixed models with a binomial DV and interactions between predictors, I still have a few questions I cannot find the answer to.
One of my guideline source for the lmer analysis is the Jaeger and Kuperman WOMM slides.

1- all but one predictor are centered, because the latter is a four level predictor and I am interested in contrasts. Is this correct? Thus I cannot interpret the intercept as the grand mean. Does the intercept has any meaning at all?

2- reporting interactions: as a whole and not just specific contrasts
For linear models, there is aovlmer.fnc. Is there such a function for mixed models?

3- residualisation
In the best model (var1 is centered, var2 is not as it is a factor), var1(2levels) and var2(4levels) have significant interaction and are correlated (-.491, -.527, -.350 for respective contrasts).
Residualisation is a possibility.
I was advised to use the following code line, but I get an error I cannot fix:

corpus$residinteraction = residuals(lm(I(var1*var2) ~ var1 + var2, data= corpus))

The error diagnostic is about having more than two levels for contrast analysis.

Thank you very much in advance.

Claire Delle Luche
Laboratoire Dynamique du Langage
14, avenue Berthelot