[R-lang] Collinearity and condition number

Claire Delle Luche Claire.Delleluche at univ-lyon2.fr
Mon Apr 20 01:41:58 PDT 2009

Dear R-users,

I am running a mixed effect model on a written corpus.
When I check for collinearity, I get a value of 35 for condition number when my predictors are entered as names then transformed as numeric (the values are 1 and 2 for two level predictors after the transormation).
However, when I enter the predictors as factors and assign levels of 0 and 1 instead of names (and convert them as numeric), I get a condition number of 12.

For the same data, depending on how I code the predictors, I either have moderate or important collinearity. What shall I do?
Which coding is more acceptable?

Thanks very much in advance.

Yours,

Claire Delle Luche