[R-lang] mixed logit models, coding the effects and understanding the parameters

David Reitter reitter at cmu.edu
Wed Apr 8 15:54:28 PDT 2009

Hi Maria,

good to hear from you. Just briefly for lack of time:

On Apr 7, 2009, at 5:28 AM, Maria Carminati wrote:
> Generalized linear mixed model fit using Laplace
> Formula: poresp ~ primec * nounrepc + (1 | subject) + (1 | item)
>   Data: verbdiff

> THERE WERE OVERALL 872 SUCCESSES AND 302 FAILURES IN THE EXPT, SO ODDS
> SHOULD BE 872/302=2.88 or (in probability space) .74/.26 = 2.85;
> THIS SHOULD GIVE A LOG OF ODDS OF APPROX 1.05, BUT THE INTERCEPT
> PREDICTED BY THE MODEL  IS MUCH HIGHER (1.66)

You have a random intercept for subjects (and one for items) fitted
there...
I would fit a fixed effects model and check that first.  I'm not sure
if, given the groups defined for your random terms, all data points
are weighted equally (as they are in your max likelihood probability
above).
(Finally, by coding your binary factors as -0.5,0.5, you don't
necessarily center the means at 0 - unless your design is balanced,
what I almost suspect.  If their means aren't 0, you wouldn't expect
the fitted intercept to work out the way you're suggesting.)

Also, what happens if you take the non-significant terms out?

 > primec:nounrepc  -0.2138     0.3224  -0.663    0.507

Pity this one didn't work.  Where these low-frequency nouns?  Unless
your design controlled their frequency, you could try adding terms for
the noun log-frequency (from a corpus)...

Best
- David

--
Dr. David Reitter