[R-lang] Weird outcome logit mixed-effect model

T. Florian Jaeger tiflo at csli.stanford.edu
Mon Dec 22 14:12:53 PST 2008

A couple of additional points:

(1) mixed logit models like yours are not fit using REML. The default fit
uses Laplace approximation, which apparently is related to, but not the same
as REML.

(2) the insignificance is, of course, due to the large standard error, but
the large standard error is due to the distribution of your data -- the fact
that you have not new-deaccented data points.

(3) you can recode Info to Info == "given", which makes it easy to show that
given is different from the other two levels (consistent with much other
previous research). But when you try to show that new is different from
accessible, there is barely any evidence for that (as also shown, by
splittin the data into a subset without "given" cases).

Florian