[R-lang] question about model interpretation using lmer

David Reitter dreitter at inf.ed.ac.uk
Thu Apr 24 10:23:45 PDT 2008

On 23 Apr 2008, at 20:53, Schack Tang, Katie wrote:

> 1) Does the fact that voiced (vce) fails to reach significance on
> its own indicate that its effect on F0 is not significantly
> different from the effect of an implosive on F0?

Yes.  Your example suggests you're using the default contrasts.
> 2) What can I conclude about the sonorant (son) and voiceless
> (vceless)?  Can I just conclude that they both raise F0 compared to
> implosives?

Yes.
>   Or can I also conclude that voiceless raises F0 more than sonorant
> does?

No.
> If the former, how can I test the latter--is it possible to specify
> which level of a factor is withheld in lmer?

Normally, the first factor is withheld; manipulating the contrasts
matrix will give you the right results.

Usually, calculating effect sizes and confidence intervals is very
informative.  First, you will need to manipulate the contrasts:  F0 ~
1/PrecSegment instead of  F0 ~ 1 + PrecSegment  (the "1" intercept is
implicit) should give you a model without explicit intercept, but
separate estimates for all PrecSegment levels.

To estimate confidence intervals, I've had comparatively good results
with the pvals.fnc function (languageR package) and its Markov Chain
Monte-Carlo sampling strategy.  I had to slightly patch this function
to accept "glmer" rather than just "lmer" type models, and I also
understand (p.c.) that recent versions do not yet work well with more
than one random effect.  There are occasional problems with minimal
(i.e. zero-sized) confidence intervals; manipulating the number of
simulations (a parameter to the pvals.fnc function) can help.

As far as I know, the confidence intervals that are estimated this way
are non-simultaneous.  Thus, fishing for effects without defining
explicit hypotheses will have the usual consequences.  (If you have
corpus data, the use of separate samples for each hypothesis should
give you reliable p's and confidence intervals in that respect.)

--
David Reitter
ICCS/HCRC, Informatics, University of Edinburgh