[R-lang] Fitting a Zipf-Mandelbrot distribution

Marco Baroni marco.baroni at unitn.it
Fri May 25 15:13:21 PDT 2007

Dear Ken,

Routines to fit a Zipf-Mandelbrot (probability) distribution are
implemented in our zipfR library for R:

http://www.cogsci.uni-osnabrueck.de/~severt/zipfR

The library documentation also points to some literature on the topic
(most notably, Baayens' 2001 Word Frequency Distributions book).

Regards,

Marco

Ken Williams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got some data (picture at http://limnus.com/~ken/zipf.jpg ) that seems
> to very obviously follow a Zipf-Mandelbrot distribution, and I'm wondering
> how to best fit the parameters of the distribution given the data.
>
> I'm using the equation y = P(x + A)^-B as the canonical form of the
> Zipf-Mandelbrot curve.
>
> As a first attempt, I fixed the two endpoints (x=1 and y=1) to coincide with
> the expected values on the graph, which analytically gives me values for P
> and B as functions of A.  Then I twiddle around with values for A until it
> looks nice.  On the attached graph, this means I end up with A=8.
>
> This method pretty clearly overfits the endpoints, and is subject to the
> whims of my eyeballs for A.  What would members of this list suggest for
> alternative fitting methods?
>
> Thanks,
>
>  -Ken

Marco Baroni