<OT> New Posting: ROA-602

roa@ruccs.rutgers.edu roa@ruccs.rutgers.edu
Fri, 30 May 2003 10:55:40 -0400

ROA 602-0503

An Ordering Paradox as Constraint Interaction: Alternation of n and l in Korean

Yongnam Um <umyongnam@empal.com>

Direct link: http://roa.rutgers.edu/view.php3?roa=602

Abstract:
In this paper, I deal with the cases in which, when n and
l abut, one is totally assimilated to the other. In general,
the coronal n becomes l when it is preceded or followed
by l. However, there are cases in which l becomes n when
it is preceded by n. Thus, from a rule-based perspective
it appears that two rules apply intrinsically in a mutually
bleeding order, that is, in a reverse order in different
environments. This difference depends on the prosodic word
boundary across which the sequence arises. To account for
this apparent paradox, I propose an Optimality-Theoretic
analysis, which relies on stratum-specific faithfulness
and position-specific faithfulness.

Areas: Phonology

Direct link: http://roa.rutgers.edu/view.php3?roa=602