<OT> New Posting: ROA-598

roa@equinox.rutgers.edu roa@equinox.rutgers.edu
Thu, 15 May 2003 10:06:45 -0400

ROA 598-0403

Local vs. Global Optimization in Syntax: A Case Study

Gereon Mueller <gereon.mueller@ids-mannheim.de>

Direct link: http://roa.rutgers.edu/view.php3?roa=598

Abstract:
The main goal of this paper is to argue for an approach to
optimization in syntax that is not global (as is standardly
assumed),
but local, in the sense that syntactic optimization procedures
can
affect only small portions of syntactic structure. Local
optimization
presupposes harmonic serialism (rather than harmonic parallelism)
,
i.e., a derivational organization of grammar. In line with
this, I set
out to reconcile optimality theory with the minimalist program,
a derivational approach in
which phrase structure is created incrementally.  I argue
that local
optimization is both conceptually attractive (because it
significantly
reduces complexity) and supported by empirical evidence.
As a case
study, I develop an analysis of a shape conservation phenomenon
in
German that involves repair-driven movement operations at
the clause edge.
 I show that, other things being equal, local optimization
succeeds
where global optimization fails.

Areas: Syntax

Direct link: http://roa.rutgers.edu/view.php3?roa=598