<OT> The alternation between the flap /r/ and the fricative /z/

R.O'Connor R.O'Connor@stud.man.ac.uk
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 10:48:27 +0000

Kathryn's message reminded me of learning Irish many years ago.
I have dug out the relevant paragraph from the grammar book
(Myles Dillon & Donncha O Croinin (1961). Irish: a complete
introductory course. London: Hodder and Stoughton Ltd (Teach
Yourself Books). p.9.):

'One sound about which a special note is required is 'r'.  It is
always trilled, never flapped or silent as in English.  For broad* 'r'
there is no further difficulty, but slender* 'r' is difficult for English
speakers.  It approaches the sound of 'z'.  (In some dialects it has
almost become 'z'.)  If you sound a 'z' and trill it, you will get a fair
result.  Fortunately original slender 'r' has become broad when it
begins a word, so that this sound is required only in medial or final
position: 'ri'' (king) has a broad 'r', but 'ti'r' (country) and 'Ma'ire'
(Mary) have the slender sound.'

* The 'broad'/'slender' distinction (referred to elsewhere as 'velarised'
and 'palatalised' respectively - see e.g. Antony Dubach Green,
2000. The prosodic representation of clitics in Irish. In Birgit
Gerlach & Janet Grijzenhout, Clitics in morphology, phonology and
syntax. Amsterdam: John Benjamins. p183-4) refers to a phonemic
contrast exhibited by all Irish consonants (except 'h').  Ailbhe Ni
Chasaide, writing in the the Handbook of the IPA, refers to this
realisation of palatalised 'r' as an 'apico-postalveolar fricative'
(p.114), which is somewhat removed from the dental fricative you
refer to.

I hope this is of some help.

Best wishes,

Rob O'Connor.