[lingtalks] Sarah Creel Talk, Monday Feb. 5th, 12pm

Steven Ford sford at cogsci.ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 2 15:01:53 PST 2007

The UCSD Department of Cognitive Science is pleased to announce a talk by

Sarah Creel Ph.D

University of Pennsylvania, Department of Psychology

Monday, February 5, 2007 at 12pm
Cognitive Science Building Room 003

"Minding Your P’s and Cues: Learning and Recognizing
Words From Start To Finish"

Abstract:

Unlike visual objects, spoken words necessarily unfold over time, with
elements needed for recognition occurring in sequence rather than in
parallel. My research concerns both the significance of this temporal
directionality of speech for learning and recognition, and the issue of
what elements (phonemes? features? acoustics?) are being used for
identification­a factor which can affect the time point when words become
identifiable. I present evidence showing that adult word learners (1)
preferentially weight information early in the word, and (2) can flexibly
incorporate new information that distinguishes words from one another early
on. I also present data on young children’s use of subtle acoustic
information to tell apart words prior to offset. In all experiments
presented, the influence of early-in-word information, whether phonemic or
acoustic, is pervasive. On the one hand, this may result from a listener’s
sensitivity to the statistics of the native language. On the other, it may
reflect a general processing strategy for temporally-ordered information,
i.e., that early information is preferred because of pressure on organisms
to identify (and act on) stimuli as rapidly as possible. I discuss how
these alternatives can be evaluated, focusing particularly on some as yet
unanswered questions about how children recognize words.