[Ligncse256] Kneser-Ney smoothing with trigram model

Oriol Vinyals oriol18 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 13:03:32 PST 2009

I also observed that the trigram works a bit worse, but not too much
(7.4% vs 7.47% WER). The perplexity is lower with the trigram.

I used this for the trigram:

PKN^3 = max( count(w_i, w_i-1, w_i-2) - D , 0)/ \sum_{w_i} count(w_i,
w_i-1, w_i-2) + \alpha PKN^2.

where \alpha is the normalizing factor , and I optimized D for the
trigram (different for 1-count or >1-count) while keeping the optimal
discount values found for the bigram model.

Oriol